- Things to Do
Party Host Guide
Thank you for offering to host a party at Arisia! As a convention, Arisia enjoys parties, and wants them to be a good experience for all involved. These guidelines can help us
achieve that goal. Please read all of this page, in order to have the best possible preparation for Arisia party hosting!
After obtaining a reservation, you will then need to fill out the party host form. If you're waitlisted for a room at the Westin, please state that you're on the waitlist as of x/y/z date on the reservation confirmation line of the party host form.
Something that's essential to decide is whether your party is Open or Closed:
- The whole convention is invited; all convention members are welcome, space permitting.
- An open party keeps the door open or ajar.
- Serving of alcohol is NOT allowed at an open party.
- You MAY advertise your open party publicly, in the appropriate locations. There will be a Party Board where you can announce your open party. You may also advertise it on social media, within reason.
- The newsletter will try to list open parties if they are posted on the Party Board before the newsletter deadline. You may also email email@example.com with the salient details, to make sure your open party is listed.
- The party must be by invitation only.
- Closed parties may NOT be advertised using posters, flyers, the Arisia party board, the Arisia newsletter, or the other public options that are available to open parties. Posting publicly about your party in convention space, real or virtual, is not permitted.
- You may not utilize Arisia's social media to advertise your party.
- Closed parties must keep the doors closed when someone is not exiting or entering.
- Arisia’s corkage waiver does not include alcohol.
- If you serve alcohol, you must check ID. The legal drinking age in Massachusetts is 21.
- You may not serve alcohol to anyone that appears to be drunk (you may be liable for any subsequent injuries or damage that they sustain or cause).
- No alcohol can leave a closed party space.
- The person checking ID should remain sober until their task is completed.
- Keep noise at the ID checking station low, particularly if outside the door of the party.
- If your closed party plans include anything to do with Fuel, or Rockets, notify firstname.lastname@example.org of this well in advance of the convention, so we can plan accordingly.
- A party cannot change from open to closed on the same evening. If you would like to host an open and a closed party on Arisia weekend, we ask that you host them on different nights.
General Party Rules:
- Please review Arisia's Code of Conduct: This Code of Conduct will be in force at all parties at Arisia.
- Anyone hosting a party, helping to run a party, or reserving a room in the Arisia hotel block must be a member of the convention.
- Noise complaints are the #1 reason that parties are shut down at any convention, but of course we try to avoid those problems at Arisia. Please keep noise to a minimum, in order to avoid someone being called to shut down your party.
- We encourage parties (especially ones that might be a bit noisy) to have adjacent rooms occupied by hosts, friends of the hosts, people associated with the party, etc. Please have your esteemed associates fill out the Special Request Form after they make their reservations, and confirm their plans with you. Your party organizer should work with the Party Czar at email@example.com to make sure that the right people get the right rooms.
- The person filling out the Party Hosting form should be the person hosting the party. If this changes, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org so we can provide the proper person with any updates and needed information.
- If you decide to change your party details from what you've initially listed on the Party Hosting Form, please notify email@example.com
- Signage rules at the hotel have changed in recent years. Party flyers and/or other advertising should be affixed to the official Arisia signboards that are set up in key locations for your posting pleasure Please do not attach your materials to any walls, doors, elevators, or any other part of the hotel except the designated Arisia signboards.
- If you have leftover party supplies, please consider letting us know that you'd like to have another party on a different night. You can also donate your supplies to another party. If you are not certain what other parties might exist, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Be aware that there are other hotel guests in rooms around your party, including sometimes non-Arisians! Be considerate of your neighbors, and responsive to requests that you lower your noise levels.
- Exercise discretion when bringing in outside food and beverages to the hotel, when your room is cleaned, etc.. Please also be discreet when transporting or storing party supplies.
- Registered parties can request a free ice delivery from the hotel. An ice delivery consists of 30 lbs of ice. We suggest you request an ice delivery. If you did not do so when you initially filled out the Party Hosting Form, please notify email@example.com before December 30th with the day and time you would like your ice delivered at con. There is a charge of $3 per pound for ice if it was not requested by December 30th, and there is no guarantee we will be able to fulfill requests made after December 30th.
- If you want more than a 30 pound ice delivery, you may pay $3 per pound for additional ice requested. Please also make that request before December 30th in order to ensure availability.
- After your party is over, please make sure the hallway outside your party is clean, and take care of any debris you find.
- We strongly encourage you to tip housekeeping well after you host a party. Please also tip the bellmen if you use them to bring in your supplies.
- Please disseminate this page to all people involved in organizing and running the party.