- Things to Do
- Before the Con
Student Writing Contest
Are you a writer who enjoys fantasy and science fiction? Are you currently enrolled in a New England High School (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT) or are you a young adult between the ages of 14 and 19 who has never been enrolled in college?
Arisia is calling for submissions for the Arisia 2014 Writing Contest.
The winning stories from the Student Writing Contests can be found at: http://corp.arisia.org/SWC-Winners
- What is Arisia?
- Arisia, Inc. is a 501(c)3, non-profit, volunteer-run organization whose purpose is to promote science fiction and fantasy.
The Arisia convention, held in Boston MA each year over MLK day weekend, is a celebration of all things sci-fi, fantasy, and generally "geeky".
- What is this contest?
- This is a contest to encourage young writers throughout the New England area. There is no fee to enter.
- Who can enter:
- High School students, or young adults between the ages of 14 and 19 who have never been enrolled in college, currently residing in the New England area (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT)
- What are the prizes?
- Prizes will include cash prizes (first prize is $250!), memberships to future Arisia conventions, and the option to have the story published on the Arisia website.
- Tell me more about this publishing?
- All winning stories will be published in perpetuity online at Arisia.org, provided the author and their guardian give consent. Authors will retain their copyright, and we will remove the stories at any time requested.
- What can the story be about?
- Anything that can be clearly labeled within the science fiction or fantasy genres.
This year's special theme is "Multiculturalism", and while you are encouraged to draw inspiration from that theme, you are not required to.
- How long can stories be? Is there a minimum length?
- No minimum length, so long as it is a complete story --not a single chapter of a larger work.
Stories should not be longer than 3000 words.
- What can't I submit?
- Please keep your story appropriate to show to other high school students (so, approximately PG-13 is a safe bet) We are looking for original prose stories, so please no fanfiction or poetry. It should go without saying, but please make sure all stories submitted are an original work. Please do not submit anything that has already been professionally published.
- May I work with someone else?
- Collaborations are permitted provided all collaborators meet the entry qualifications --no adults, no writers from outside the New England area.
In the event of a collaboration winning, all prizes will be split as evenly as possible amongst the winners.
- Do I have to give up my copyright to Arisia?
- Not at all! The story, and all associated copyright, remains yours. We want to recognize young writers, not take their work.
- When is the deadline?
- December 15, 2013. Get writing!
- I have more questions!
- E-mail us at email@example.com